Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

2 boards wont run

Posted by knuckles 
2 boards wont run
November 04, 2014 04:38PM
i have a minimax and a BP1 and a selection of USB devices ,they used to work and had rookie running but now i cant get even the welcome screen .i have been thru the list of possible problems to no avail .the sparkfun basic FTDI used to work good with the minimax but now wont at all .i ran out of ideas
Re: 2 boards wont run
November 04, 2014 04:44PM
I don't think this is anything to do with the ByPic's: Google 'FDTI gate' and I think you will find your answer there.

*** I am in the process of redesigning some of my products to get rid of the FTDI chip, it looks like its had its day ***
November 04, 2014 06:41PM
just to put some to consideration...., i thought of writing here...

i read somewhere that Windows drivers regarding FTDI boards have some problems and it seems the chips that are not original, meaning fake chips, when used on the windows machine with these drivers it will brick that chip which will become useless for later use... i wish i had with me the links but do google it and i am sure you may find the answer...
i think is probably a FTDI problem like Jim said!
hope it helps...
November 04, 2014 08:54PM
yes i know what your saying but i havent update the FTDI software and the sparkfun should work ok i cant see them using snide chips .i have no reason to think theyre bricked
November 05, 2014 08:11AM
Yes they will be using counterfeit chips, all manufacturers will why?
1) FTDI is constantly out of stock and so the chips will have been resourced from many suppliers
2) All Chips are resourced form several supplies so as to protect the security of supply
3) Many manufacturers get some boards manufactured elsewhere and take delivery of the completed boards. Of course they are tested to the manufacturers specification but here is the rub --- there is no test available to tell if the chips are counterfiet or not

Here is a good explanation http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eU66as4Bbds
November 05, 2014 06:17PM
i got the mini max working ok, it was a dodgy connection on DTR for some reason ,welcome back rookie ,now for the
other board .
some days things just never go right ...duh
November 05, 2014 09:18PM
no luck with the BP1 though ,checking the solder joints
November 05, 2014 09:28PM
am i right in saying that the BP1 should show a welcome screen right from the go ?
without me loading anything at all ?
this was a diy kit
November 05, 2014 11:14PM
Yes get everything right and it will work and display the sign on screen. There are some good tips at the bottom of this page http://www.bypic.co.uk/index.php/Part_2_Serial_connection_and_construction
November 06, 2014 02:06PM
no the board shows nothing at all ,no ok or welcome screen
November 06, 2014 04:41PM
It will if everything is assembled okay. I suggest you double check everything. Send a picture of the back and front I will see if I can spot something obvious. Failing that you can send it to me to fix if you like. The address is here.
November 07, 2014 10:06AM
ok Jim i posted it off to you with some stamps to send it back etc.
i have been over the soldered joints with a magnyfier but nothing looks so bad as to warrent it being dud and dead,
but no doubt you will solve it quickly ,power light comes on and voltages look ok. i tried several FTDI devices and com ports looked ok ,sparkfun devices are reliable i reckon
November 07, 2014 10:29AM
Okay, I will send it back fixed and let you know what it was.
Jim
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.