Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

No more MX370 products?

Posted by Tinine 
No more MX370 products?
August 17, 2016 03:07PM
Would've been nice to know before I started to get in to this.
Re: No more MX370 products?
August 17, 2016 06:16PM
What are you using and doing?
August 17, 2016 08:45PM
I am one of the few recent posters...The BV509?

You cite the performance of this system, compared to other BASIC microcontrollers, but at least there is consistency and commitment that is clearly lacking here. Not everyone is a hobbyist. I have relied on my control systems for a living for the past 32 years.
August 18, 2016 08:48AM
The main problem is that the PIC processor is sufficiently different even in the same family that makes it difficult to support both the MX170 and the MX370 at this point in time.

I do have a couple of new boards coming up that support wifi and SD Card and there is also a web based IDE. The MX170 is not that different from the MX370, is there something specific about this particular processor or is it the BV509?
August 19, 2016 04:20PM
Mainly the speed and memory of the 370. I LOVE ByPic's scheduling/tasking and intend to use it quite heavily. Just a bit concerned about the performance/overhead impact. Pretty sure that the 170 will get the job done but I like overkill.

I guess I am just surprised that what I perceived to be a flagship product is now obsoleted.

What is the worst case scenario should I continue to use the 370 (my own hardware)? Are there any serious, unresolved bugs in ByPic that might trip me up?
August 20, 2016 10:43AM
It is possible that given too many tasks too quickly a task will not have time to run, in tasksee() if the value in [] is not zero then it means that the task has missed running because other tasks were taking up too much time.

I am not sure what version the BV509 is on I suspect probably about serial 71. There have been about 20 revisions since then and the task [] was one of them.

The main update has been with the IDE which requires hload(n) which is in the later versions, gone is the script file in favour of #include which makes more sense. On version 2.32 (soon to be released) I will try and incorporate a MX370 version but it really will be the last time for now. So any new projects the MX170 is the way to go, I have some reasonably big projects and the170 has not yet run out of steam.

Jim
August 20, 2016 04:17PM
Jim,

Please don't go to any trouble over the 370 if it's not in your future interest. I know that the 170 will work for me so I intend to switch to this.

For me, ByPic is the most exciting development in the micro-controller world and I want/need to stick with the latest developments.

Tasks: Yes, I understand what to watch out for but I am talking about 20 to 50 millisecond intervals with code that will execute in tens of microseconds. Just perfect for my needs.
August 21, 2016 05:25PM
Thanks for your support. There are not that many people who 'get' the idea of ByPic.
Jim
August 22, 2016 10:45AM
jimeer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There are not that many
> people who 'get' the idea of ByPic.
> Jim

I hear ya! I must admit that I only became really excited once I started playing with it and realised the potential. Now I can't stop coming up with new ideas.

Maybe the IOT revolution will help. The new IDE looks awesome but I have yet to try it.
August 22, 2016 06:00PM
Just finishing off an exchange rate project that uses a free api (api.fixer.io) to get the latest exchange rates and then display them to an LCD.

There are also news feeds to look at.

Jim
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.